Bill Armstrong, AO
Chair - Friends of Suai (City of Port Phillip Bay), Director - YCW (Holdings), Chair - CHART (Clearing House for Archival Records on Timor), Council Member - BASP (Brigidine Asylum Seeker Program).
In 1964 Bill began a career in International Development, commencing as a staff member of the newly formed OSB (Overseas Service Bureau, later to change its’ name to Australian Volunteers International), which had just established the AVA (Australian Volunteers Abroad) program. In the 1970s he was National Coordinator of the Churches International Development Education Program, Action for World Development (AWD).
Bill was appointed Chief Executive Officer of Australian Volunteers International (AVI) in 1982, a position he held until his retirement in 2002. During that time, he managed the growth of the organisation from a staff of 12 to a total of 130 people nationally, and the annual budget grew from less than A$400,000 to over A$20 million. In 2001, Australian Volunteers International managed 1000 volunteers in placements in 45 countries.